Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
1 hour 30-45 minutes
Bread Pudding Ingredients
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup Tate+Lyle® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups (6 oz ) thinly sliced (1/4" thick) fresh French bread
- 1 (3 oz.) large buttery bakery croissant, thinly sliced and hand shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Bourbon Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Tate+Lyle® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 small vanilla bean, scraped or about 1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste (vanilla extract can be substituted)
Bread Pudding Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8” round casserole dish, soufflé dish or 8” X 8” baking pan.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, combine egg yolks, heavy cream, half and half, sugar, vanilla, spices and salt together. Beat mixture with whisk attachment for 1 minute on high speed.
- Add French bread and croissant pieces to batter, pressing well into liquid to cover. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or overnight.
Note: If soaking for more than 2 hours, cover and refrigerate batter and reserved egg whites, as well, then let all ingredients come to room temperature before proceeding with recipe.
- When ready to bake, bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- In clean bowl, with an electric mixer, whip egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar; beat into stiff peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture, being careful not to break the pieces.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Set dish in a water bath and cover top with aluminum foil. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove dish from water bath. Remove foil and continue to bake 10 to 15 minutes more until top is golden brown and knife inserted in center shows custard is still moist, but not runny.
Bourbon Sauce Instructions
- Combine heavy cream and sugar together in 1 quart saucepot and heat to boiling point. Reduce heat and simmer, 5 minutes, or until slightly reduced and thickened.
- In small separate bowl, or measuring cup, whisk cornstarch into bourbon and add to cream mixture. Bring sauce back to a boil, whisking, and cook until thickened.
- Serve warm over warm bread pudding.
Refrigerate leftover portions of both the bread pudding and sauce within 2 hours of baking.