Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 2 cups Tate+Lyle® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Tate+Lyle® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 48 strawberries (24 sliced and 24 cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups; set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Add water, oil and eggs; mix until combined. Beat at medium speed for two minutes. Stir in sour cream. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Combine cream, sugar and vanilla in a chilled medium mixing bowl. Beat on medium high speed until soft peaks form. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Assembling the Shortcakes:
- Slice off the top of each cupcake at the top of the cupcake liner. Set aside to top filling. Fill piping bag with whipped cream and top each cupcake with cream, then with sliced strawberries. Cover filling with cupcake top.
- Pipe a dollop of whipped cream in middle of cupcake topper and garnish with 1/2 strawberry. Serve immediately.