Honey-Citrus French Toast
- 2/3 cup Tate+Lyle® Honey Granules
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 navel orange, seedless
- ¼ cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- A pinch of ground jalapeño powder, optional
- 2 tbsp. half and half cream
- 2 large eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. Tate+Lyle® Honey Granules
- 8 slices (about 1/2 lb. total) thick sliced bread (Texas Toast-style) or ¾ “ thick slices French or Italian Bread
- butter or 50/50 butter and vegetable oil, as needed
- Whisk Tate+Lyle® Honey Granules, water and cornstarch together in a medium saucepot. Heat over medium heat, stirring until granules dissolve. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and boil 3 minutes until syrup is slightly thickened and reduced. Lower temp, if needed, to keep mixture from boiling over.
- While syrup is boiling, grate ½ tsp of rind from orange and reserve. Peel and section the orange and reserve sections.
- Reduce heat to simmer and stir in orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, orange rind and optional jalapeño powder until mixture thickens and reduces down to about ½ cup. Keep sauce warm until ready to serve. Makes about 1/2 cup syrup.
French Toast Instructions:
- Beat cream with eggs, salt and 1 tsp. Tate+Lyle® Honey Granules until frothy.
- Dip bread into egg mixture on both sides and set aside.
- Heat enough butter or butter/oil in nonstick sauté pan to coat the bottom of the pan over medium heat until hot. Do not let butter burn.
- Cook French Toast pieces 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm sauce and orange sections as garnish.