Lemon Poppy Biscotti
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup Tate+Lyle® Organic Turbinado Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Tate+Lyle® Organic Turbinado Cane Sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine first three ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Slowly add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl with each addition. Add zest and extracts. Slowly pour in flour mixture, almonds and poppy seeds. Mix until dough forms.
- Divide dough into two portions. Shape into two 8 X 2 1/2-inch logs. In a small bowl, mix egg with water to make egg wash. Brush egg wash onto dough and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on sheet pan on a wire rack 20 - 30 minutes.
- Set oven to 325°F.
- Place dough on cutting board and cut diagonally into 1-inch thick slices using a serrated knife. Arrange slices flat on the cooled, parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes. Turn biscotti and bake other side 6 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Remove biscotti from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.