Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- 1/3 cup Tate+Lyle® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Tate+Lyle® Organic Turbinado Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Prepare two baking pans lined with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and organic sugar together in a bowl. Gradually add egg and vanilla while mixing. Add flours and salt, mix and then lightly mold the mixture together with your hands.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, knead lightly and roll dough with your hands into a 14-inch long log. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour. While the dough is chilling, finely chop the pistachios and combine them with the turbinado sugar on a tray; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Brush shortbread log with milk and roll it firmly in the sugar-nut mixture until completely covered. Cut into 28 1/2-inch discs and place on baking pans, leaving 1-1/2 inch between each one.
- Bake on middle and top shelves of oven 15 to 18 minutes, or until very pale golden, swapping the pans halfway through. Remove and cool on a wire rack.